Sadly, there is no one thing that is going to get rid of your belly fat. Especially as you age. Those “drink this fat burning drink and lose inches within weeks” or “these pills will get rid of your belly fat in a day” ads that you see – don’t be fooled! They don’t work. There is no one diet pill, skinny tea or detox that you can take or add to your diet that will magically get rid of your belly fat. In the real world, the best ways to lose belly fat are to make positive changes to your health routine and be consistent.
What is the main cause of belly Fat?
The reason for this is because the cause of belly fat is complicated and different for each person. Belly fat can be caused by high stress levels, hormones, poor diet, genetics and aging. Some people are affected more than others, it can be a real stubborn area of concern for some their whole lives. For others it becomes more of an issue as they age, or maybe as they go through the menopause. More and more women are being affected by “Meno-Belly”. Whatever the reason for your belly fat, it can be really frustrating. Especially when you’re doing everything you can to live a healthy lifestyle and keep active.
Easy things you can do to tackle belly fat
So what can be done? As mentioned, there is no one magic pill or drink you can take to get rid of your belly fat. However, all hope is not lost, there are actions you can take to help fight the onset of belly fat.
There are small things that collectively will help towards tackling this stubborn area of fat. We’ve put together a list of suggestions, all reasonably easy to incorporate in your day to day lives, without too much effort. If done consistently over time, you should see results.
The great thing about these suggestions is that if you can include them in your daily habits and routines you will feel fitter and healthier in general. Win-Win.
Stress is a big factor on not only your overall wellbeing but also on your belly fat. It can be hard in the fast past lives that we lead to slow down and reduce stress, but it’s important to make it a priority. Stress causes cortisol levels in your blood to increase, this in turn can affect your sleep patterns, digestive system and cause weight gain.
- Nature – Don’t underestimate the power of being within nature. Studies have shown nature can have a healing impact on the body. If you can’t get out outside – can you bring the outside in? A small office plant, or bunch of flowers can brighten any office.
- Meditation – Whether you just sit in silence, listen to white noise for 5 minutes a day or try out an app like “Calm”, taking time out to reset does wonders for your overall stress levels.
- Sleep – Can you make small changes to improve your sleep? Stop drinking 3 hours before you go to bed? Read, rather than use your phone, before you sleep and when you wake up? Make sure your room is nicely ventilated. Or attempt to increase the length of time you sleep by 15 mins each week.
Improve your diet
Getting in the mind-set that diets are a thing of the past, and that what you need to do is to find a sustainable way of eating for the long term, that works for you, will be a gamechanger in your journey to get fit and healthy and stay that way. What we eat not only has a huge influence on our health, our moods and our energy levels, but is roughly 80% responsible for our weight. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying – you cannot outrun a bad diet.
- Water – Aim to drink half of your body weight in lbs in oz per day. So if you weigh 150lbs – try drinking 75oz a day (roughly 2.2 litres).
- Greens – Add greens to every meal. A leafy side salad? A portion or your favorite veg as a starter, or mix some spinach into your curries, bolognese and pasta dishes.
- Don’t drink your calories – fizzy drinks and squashes with added sugars have to go. Switch to low/no sugar drinks and ditch the alcohol as much as you can, even if just on weekdays, and you will notice a difference. There are so many good non-alcoholic options to choose from these days – we love Martini vibrante aperitif – mix with slimline tonic and it feels like summer!
Whilst it can be hard to hit the gym regularly, especially if you have a family or a full-time job, getting some form of exercise daily is crucial to tackling belly fat. Muscle burns more calories when you are inactive and you can increase your NEAT fitness by being more active every day.
- Stretch the moment you wake up! Stretching has real health benefits and it connects your mind with your body, which has a positive impact for the rest of the day.
- Exercise – Do a 15/20 mins exercise routine at home – there are so many free sessions on YouTube to choose from. We love Joe Wicks! Who doesn’t? Joe has just started a new First Steps to Fitness series. Perfect if you don’t have much time, or are new/returning to working out.
- Steps – Increase your general steps, can you go the long way round to the shop? Or take the steps rather than the lift or escalators?
Freeze Your Belly Fat
We often talk about ‘burning’ belly fat – have you ever thought about freezing your belly fat? Belly fat freezing works with your body’s natural processes to get rid of unwanted fat cells via the process of Apoptosis. By using Cryostar’s® fat freezing technology, the therapist massages the skin with the cold wand to break down those stubborn areas of fat, like belly fat. If you’re living a generally healthy lifestyle, eating well, moving daily, then a Cryostar® Treatment could just be the thing to tackle those little pockets of fat that just won’t budge. To learn more and understand which treatments would be best suited to your needs, book a FREE consultation at a clinic near you.
Before & After Results
A Cryostar trained therapist will advise you in advance what the best package of treatment will work for you and your desired results, whether CryoSlimming®, CryoToning® or a mixture of the two treatments. Check out these results that you could achieve too. #shapethebodyyouwant
Interested to see how a treatment works? Check out some of our videos on Vimeo.
Karen Snook – UK Marketing Manager